Thursday, April 14, 2011

Motorcycle driving lesson 1

Hi all,

Finally the day arrived today for my first lesson. I have been to the driving school earlier to confirm that they have clothes that fit (was a bit afraid that I would not fit in as I'm still quite a big guy). No problem however.

So today I got there and put on the loaner clothes. and then met Bengke, my driving instructor.
He asked if I wanted to ride the normal bike, a Suzuki Bandit, or a custom bike. I chose the Bandit as it has ABS and is more like the bike I want to ride.

After a short explanation he asked whether I wanted to try. I drove a couple of rounds at the driving school parking and then we set of into trafic. Well, I can tell you that there suddenly was a lot to do. All the things you take for granted when you drive a car suddenly feel strange and you find yourself forgetting obvious things again (like switching off turnsignals...)

Got to a parking where it was time to practice slow balance excercises. This actually went quite well and apparently I seem to have a good balance to start with. Quite proud of that as this was the thing i was fearing most.

Beyond that we drove around in some quiet areas and did a hillstart. Then back to the industrial area for some braking tests. That was a bit scary, but with a bike with ABS not a problem. Unfortunately, it was then time to head back to the driving school and my first lesson was over..

Thinking back it was one of the most fun things I did in a long time. It actually was not as hard as i expected, especially the slow balance excercises. I suspect that I just need to get a bit more used to the bike and things have to become more normal and structured. My goal of finishing this in the summer quite possible.

Next lesson is the 2nd of May. Then we probably head out into the towncenter. Don't think that will be too bad as I haven't felt that trafic is too much of a problem. Looking forward, only 18 days to go..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ik ken dit verhaal..... o ja, van Vincent! Leuk te lezen dat jullie alletwee dezelfde dingen moeilijk en/of makkelijk vinden. Ook Vincent is dolenthousiast over het motorrijden en ook hij hoopt deze zomer zijn rijbewijs te halen. Ik hoop op een mooie zomer voor jullie allebei zodat jullie veel kunnen rijden. En als jullie goed weer hebben kan ik er ook van profiteren.

Annita